Thursday, March 21, 2019

Behind The Shot : Marine Corps War Memorial



For several months, while browsing online, I was trying to figure out how people were able to photograph the U.S. Capitol Building, The Washington Memorial, and The Lincoln Memorial in the same image, while photographing the United States Marine Corps War Memorial in Arlington, Virginia. 

From the ground, to the flag pole's top, the monument stands at 78 feet. None of the pictures I've found online explain where was the photographer standing when they took the image. I noticed on Flickr that some of them used a telephoto lens. So just to be on the safe side, I brought my Nikon AF-S Nikkor 55-300mm 1:4-5.6G ED lens with me on this trip.

I visited Washington, DC for the second week in a row, its one of my favorite cities. I arrived earlier in the day, considering I had planned to ride the Metro train for the first time. So I arrived earlier just in case, didn't want to get lost riding the Metrorail.

I was surprised to learn that unlike New York or Philadelphia, there is a station manager on the premises assisting commuters. With the station manager's help, in less than 5 minutes I was able to purchase a round trip Metro Card, and was on my way to the Rosslyn station. I don't know how true this statement is, but they say Metrorail is one of the best and most efficient public transportation systems in the country, but I digress.

After riding the Metro Red Line for a few stops, I transferred to the Orange Line heading to Rosslyn station. Please be aware, Rosslyn Metro Escalator, at 207 feet is one of the longest continuous escalators. If you are afraid of heights, the escalator could be quite intimidating.

Once I exited the Rosslyn station, I strolled about 8 minutes on Fort Myers Drive. You should be able to see the Marine Corps War monument from the intersection of Lynn street and Fairfax Drive on Arlington Ridge Park. The memorial is located between the Arlington Cemetery and Rosslyn Metro stops. It is a half mile walk from either station.

While the sun's was still up, I strolled around looking for a vantage point to shoot during the sunset blue hour. Arlington Ridge Park has an elevated hill/ridge (above the Potomac River) where you can best view the Marine Corps War Memorial, with the U.S. Capitol Building, the Washington Memorial, and the Lincoln Memorial in the background. I took dozens of pictures. At this time of the year, by 5:15 pm it was already pitch dark.

To capture all four memorials in one image, it is best to photograph the Marine Corps War Memorial when the trees on the elevated hill stand bare, without leaves.

This picture was worth the trip! Enjoy!

Click on (THIS LINK....) to view a larger image, and to check out my Flickr Channel.
Koflaolivieri
  

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what an awesome pic mate. Love it. You did well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, this is one of my favorite images from Washington DC.

      Delete
  2. Wow, nice job. Coincidentally I have that exact lens and it's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I actually purchased this lens mainly to photograph a variety of racing events like motocross, flat track and drag racing. I hardly use it.

      Delete