Saturday, February 24, 2024

The Wow Factor

This is the best example that I can provide anyone about the importance of photo editing, and creating a composite image that pleases me.

You probably already know that a composite photo, is the combination of two or more images or photos to create a new one. Realizing that I am my own worst critic, to me the second image looks rather plain, and lacks the "wow" factor.

All pictures were taken the same day, June 2018 from Governors Island in NY. The last picture is a composite created a year later when I was bored and began tinkering with a few old pictures using my favorite photo editor, Adobe Photoshop Elements. For the final image I replaced the dull plain sky, and added a water reflection to the Hudson River in New York Harbor.

Some hardcore purist photographers criticize composite pictures. They argue that it is not real photography because the image has been manipulated. I am not a professional photographer. As long as I like the final result, I am having fun and not hurting anyone, that is all it matters to me.

2 comments:

  1. I like the final image you have here.
    I struggle with this also, especially with sky replacement. It can turn an ordinary image into a fantastic image, but is it real? I try not to do it but it seems the norm now and if you don't do it then your images will fade into the shadows of the manipulated images of others.

    I guess I too old school. I like them but feel like I have cheated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, initially I used to feel guilty too. But the way I see it, I am not a professional, this hobby is not for profit and photography is a great therapy for me. As long as I am happy with the final image, it is all it matters.

      Delete