Saturday, March 5, 2022

Gas Prices


I took this picture of my bike at Orange County Choppers, in Newburgh New York in 2014. At the time gas was at $4.05 a gallon. 

Since 1994, average gas prices have fluctuated between a low of 96.2 cents a gallon in February 1999 and a high of $4.11 in July 2008. The current average price, is almost exactly what it was in 2014. 

Where you buy gas also matters. 

Methinks that high gas prices are political talking points, and many of those complaining usually drive expensive gas-guzzlers. Many people don't realize how cheap gasoline is today.

When I entered high school in the early 70's, I had a part-time job at a Sears service gas station. If I recall correctly, I pumped gas at .32 cents a gallon. If we adjusted for inflation that .32 cents, it is $2.22 today. Not sure how true this is, but I've heard that gas prices in the US are among the cheapest in the world. 

By comparison, one White Chocolate Mocha at Starbucks cost $4.45. One gallon of Dasani water is $11.22.

Do Americans believe the president has any power to control gasoline prices? The answer depends on whether you ask a Republican or a Democrat, and which party occupies the White House.

4 comments:

  1. Preium Unleaded is around $2 per litre here in Australia at the moment or about $8 per gallon. You got it cheap mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I tell everyone, but nobody listens to me.

      Delete
  2. Yes, it is cheap relative to other places. And you're right: Americans waste more money on other things without caring. Drivers could choose more economical, fuel-efficient cars but most don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing to me how some people don't hesitate to spend $5.00 at Starbucks, or spend $80,000 dollars on a huge truck, and then complain about gas prices.

      Delete