Sunday, March 31, 2019

Behind the Scenes : New York City Skyline


Are you afraid of heights? To be honest, I am. It feels like I am having a panic attack when I look down from the top of a building, the same fear I feel when I take a plane or ride my motorcycle over a bridge.

The first time I visited the CN Tower in Toronto, Canada, didn't realize the elevator floor is made out of glass panels. Once we reached the CN Tower top floor observation deck I almost had a heart attack when I realized the observation deck floor is also a glass floor. I was so scared that I hugged the wall near the entrance and waited for the next elevator to take me down.

For a while now, I have been thinking of walking the Manhattan Bridge pathway to take a picture of the Brooklyn Bridge and NYC skyline from above. Yesterday, it took a lot of courage for me to walk on the Manhattan Bridge for the first time; I put earplugs on to reduce car and subway train noise. Luckily there are strategically placed holes in the chain-link fence along the pedestrian path, so it is easier to photograph one of most amazing skylines in the world.

The bridge gives an awesome perspective of the Brooklyn Bridge and lower Manhattan. I like this image so much I am about to print a 20" x 30" enlarged poster, and hang it in my living room. I spent about one hour shooting the spectacular view, and soaking up the sun on this beautiful day.


Afterwards, I went to the Top of the Rock at the Rockefeller Center, the iconic NYC historic landmark in the heart of midtown Manhattan. My goal was to get a good picture of the Empire State Building and capture the One World Trade Center and downtown Manhattan in the background.


To avoid the large crowds I purchased online tickets in advance for early morning. Top of the Rock opens at 8:00 am; at 8:30 am, it was already crowded. As always, a good rule of thumb is to research the rules and regulations on photography equipment before you get to your location. Knowing in advance that they don't allow tripods up there, I brought with me my Platypod Ultra.

A group of security guards were standing next to me chit chatting, didn't pay attention to what I was doing. I used the concrete ledge with the cable release and a camera wrist strap and took lots of pictures. As a first time Platypod user, it passed the test with flying colors.

At the end of the day, I was able to accomplish what I set out to do.






No comments:

Post a Comment