Sunday, May 1, 2022

First Rainfall of May


A tradition, a belief, or more so, a superstition. It's commonly called “Agua de Mayo,” a Spanish term that means “water of May.” It is believed that the first rainfall of May has healing powers. Bathing under it can cure whatever disease one is afflicted with. - Wikipedia.

When I was growing up, there was a folk-belief that if a person got soaked wet on May’s first downpour we will be blessed with good luck the rest of the year. As a little kid I used to go outside when it rained, it was a lot of fun to splash around through puddles left by the rain.

Several years ago on my way to work, I noticed it looked like if it was going to rain all day. The sky got cloudy and dark very quick, it seemed that the rain was heading my way. I could smell the rain coming. While searching for my umbrella, it dawned on me that it was the first rainfall of May. It rained and I got soaked, but it felt great. I was splashing around like a kid jumping for joy.

We are expecting rain this evening, maybe I should get ready to play outside in the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment