Friday, May 6, 2022

Diversity


Diversity = It means understanding that each individual is unique, and recognizing our individual differences. These can be along the dimensions of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs, or other ideologies. - Queensborough Community College.

I was sitting at the dentist office earlier today talking to my dentist. I realized that most of the individuals that offer the essential services that I frequent the most during my everyday life are from other nations. 

It is a coincidence. It wasn't planned in my part to be that way, it just is. For example, my dentist is from China. My primary doctor is from Cuba. My eye doctor is from the Philippines. The pizza store I frequent the most, the owner is from Lebanon. The store I frequented to get breakfast when I was still employed, they are from Cambodia. The woman that cuts my hair is from Vietnam. The computer/cell phone store that handles my computer and cell phone issues, the owners are from India and Bangladesh. The little mom and pop store where I used to get lunch at my previous job, they are from South Korea. My landlord is from Thailand.

Why am I telling you this? I remember watching the 2020 RNC Convention where one of the themes was the GOP warning that the upcoming election was "a decision between preserving America" and having diversity as a threat to American values. In every election, the GOP seems to bring back their tried and true boogeyman migrant caravan invasion talking point. 

Personally, I don't think we could survive as a nation without those people I listed above. They are people from what lots of MAGA followers call sh*thole countries. In my opinion, those foreign-born individuals are the ones who make the United States the great nation that we are today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment