Sunday, April 21, 2019

Behind The Scenes Photography


Just to quench my photography thirst, yesterday evening after having diner at my favorite joint, I took the train to downtown Philadelphia to take a couple of pictures.

Philadelphia has been photographed ad nauseam, in fact I am running out of places to shoot in the city. It was still early, so I wandered around aimlessly and finally decided to visit Lenfest Plaza, at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts.

If you are not familiar with this location, it is famous for a naval plane sculpture called "Grumman Greenhouse" that it's displayed in Lenfest Plaza. It was donated by Philadelphia artist Jordan Griska.

A while back I tried photographing this plane sculpture next to my motorcycle using a light painting technique. Maybe it was the wrong composition, bad lighting or I was rushing to finish it, but I wasn't happy with the final result. Click on this link to see the plane sculpture next to my bike.

Lately, I've been doing something different. This is an idea that occurred to me after finding this picture that I took 4 years ago.

I figured why not include myself in the photograph? It gives the viewer a different perspective and composition of the entire picture. In my opinion, adding a person to your images can also give a sense of scale and add interest to your photography. Now I can go back and recreate some of my older favorite images by putting a personal spin using this idea.

Do you include yourself in your photography?

Click on this link to see a bigger version of the image above....






4 comments:

  1. Nice pic and I do like the one with the bike in it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am just waiting for an opportunity to take another shot of a light painting picture with the plane. The place is always crowded with students, and there is a security presence all the time.

      Delete
  2. I know what it's like to have photographed a place so often that you feel you've exhausted its possibilities, so sometimes we need to be extra-creative. This is a clever solution. I sometimes also put myself in pictures. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am having fun adding myself to the pictures.

      Delete