Sunday, April 21, 2019

Behind The Shot : Brooklyn Bridge Park Pier 1


My first digital camera was a Nikon D100, designed for professionals and advanced enthusiasts. It was my first serious camera. Despite being a camera made in 2002, it's a well built camera and still takes beautiful photos.

The testing ground for my first DSLR images was one of the most iconic New York City locations, Brooklyn Bridge Park. Despite anticipated crowds over the 4th of July long weekend, the location wasn't very crowded when I arrived. It was a bright, beautiful, sunny day.

Something quite interesting took place, the first arrivals was a group of people older than me. Among them was a group of what could be considered grandmothers. It's funny because sometimes I forget that at my young age of 63, and having white hair, identifies me as a senior citizen. Our patronizing euphemism for the dreaded words “old man". At my age, young people call me "Pop", but I digress.

They were prepared with digital cameras and tripods of various brands; they even brought their own food. While we waited for the sun to go down in the horizon, they shared their food among themselves. It felt like being at a picnic.

Tried to engage them in conversation to find out what motivated them to get involved in photography, unfortunately no one from the group spoke English.

I hope that when I reach their age, I am able to continue learning, improving, and above all, still enjoying the art of photography.

The pictures below were taken that day. Click on this link to see a bigger version.....








No comments:

Post a Comment