Monday, April 8, 2019

IRS Tax Refund : The Good, The Bad and The Ugly


This year I filed my taxes at the end of February. That's kind of late for me, I usually do my taxes as soon as I get my W-2's from my employer in mid January.

My tax preparer normal fee is $49.00 dollars. Unlike previous years, this time I decided to bite the bullet and pay a little extra to get them via direct deposit.

The income tax preparer promised a quick return, I would get them in 7 working days, she said. She's being preparing my taxes for the last 4 years, so I had no reason to doubt her.

Every year, submitting my tax return via snail mail, I usually receive my refund 5-6 weeks later. The refund check did not arrive in 7 working days like my tax preparer promised, it was not a direct deposit either. I went to the IRS website and read a notice that said they were unable to process my direct deposit; it also said they will be sending the check by mail.

One thing I noticed at the IRS website is that they stated that most e-filed tax returns will be processed within 21 days from the date the IRS receives your tax return, not 7 working days like my tax preparer promised.

The refund check arrived by mail, 5 weeks after my tax preparer filed my taxes and charged me extra for direct deposit. During lunch time went to the bank and deposited the refund check on my account.

Today, I came home from work and found a letter from the IRS with this message:
Like I said, my tax refund check is already deposited in my bank account. To be honest, I am not upset that my refund check arrived 5 weeks later after I paid extra to get it quicker. I figured, as long as I don't owe money to the IRS, I am a happy camper. 



2 comments:

  1. Few things work the way they're supposed to any more. The recent change in taxation has caused even more chaos. My accountant (expert and reliable) says many issues are so confused nobody knows that to expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was expecting to read more complaints about the new tax laws. From what I've heard, this year people are getting smaller tax refunds.

      Delete