Sunday, September 22, 2024

No Soup For You


Back in 1997, as a first time Philadelphia visitor, I was shocked to see so many homeless people on the streets. As a former New York resident, I thought I've seen it all. A year later after I relocated to Philly, I then realized that the homeless population was out of control. But I digress.

If you are familiar or has watched the Seinfeld TV series, you probably know the infamous Seinfeld episode of the Soup Nazi. This was an establishment that served the best soup in all of Manhattan. A customer's failure to strictly obey the rules provokes the Soup Nazi to shout "no soup for you" and refuse service. It is a hilarious episode, and Seinfeld is one of my favorite comedies of all time.

I love soup but the sodium content is off the charts. When you eat out, you are at the mercy of the restaurants, and as a rule they add too much salt in their food.

Last night I visited my favorite local Latin restaurant. My mouth was watering thinking about ordering chicken with rice and beans. While I was being served, a homeless person walked in and told the server he wanted a soup.

I could hear them arguing at the counter; the homeless person was .50 cents short to pay for the 1.50 cents soup. No soup for you if you can't pay, said the server. To stop the back and forth bickering, I told the server that I will pay for the soup. 

At that moment, in a fit of rage, the homeless guy grabs the soup, threw the hot soup at the server and calmly walked out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment