Monday, July 8, 2019

Let The Restoration Begin


After several months browsing the internet looking for a bike to restore, a motorcycle that meets my three requirements : (1) a Kawasaki Z1 900 or a KZ 1000, (2) not far from my location, and (3) at a reasonable price, finally this 1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 popped up for sale only 5 miles from my house.

Saw the ad last Friday night, finally spoke with the guy on the phone this past Saturday. We made arrangements to see the bike yesterday. Today I rented a U-Haul truck and collected the bike. It was that simple.

For a 41 year old motorcycle, the bike seems to be in excellent shape, only 26,000 miles. That means that this winter, on my free time I would be very busy restoring this classic motorcycle. It was a long time ago I owned one of these bikes, it should be fun to restore. I wouldn't make the mistake of selling it, this time I plan to keep this one.

Let the restoration begin ...









10 comments:

  1. It looks like except for the seat all the pieces are there. Can't wait to see this classic brought back to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bike looks to be relatively unmolested. This is a nice project to get me started and a little busy during the cold weather.

      Delete
  2. What a handsome bike, with low mileage and use. Perfect for restoration. My first motorcycle was a used 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 750. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first Kawasaki was a 1972 Kawasaki 750 triple, aka the widow maker.

      Delete
  3. Looks pretty decent. Should be a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a 41 year old bike, I was surprised how clean it looks.

      Delete
  4. I have a 83 GS750E that's in my garage waiting for restoration. Will be following you.

    Mad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other day a 1981 Suzuki Katana 1000 came up in my area very cheap. It was sold in a matter of hours.

      Delete
  5. I'm restoring one just now! the same (well its parked at the moment but almost there!
    Gino

    ReplyDelete