Monday, January 21, 2019

Behind The Shot: Love Park


The other week, one of my Philadelphia photography meetup groups invited it's members to attend a meetup at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. As it almost always happen with online meetup groups, twenty two people signed up, only three other members and a friend that I invited attended.
If you have been reading my other blog, you know that it's my preference to shoot city skylines during the blue hour, and at a completely dark night when shooting motorcycle lightpainting. One of the reasons I am not too fond of museum photography, is that tripods and flash are not allowed inside the museum.
From past experience, I've never been able to take great photos inside a museum without a tripod. In low light circumstances, a tripod is essential because you usually can’t hand hold a camera when using a slow shutter speed and expect to get sharp pictures.
I figured this is a great opportunity to use a Platypod Ultra I recenly purchased. If you are not familiar with this little gadget, the Platypod is a versatile compact flat metal plate that let's you mount a ballhead on it. It is so small, it can be taken virtually anywhere.
To make a long story short, I wasn't happy with the few pictures I took inside the museum, and I didn't had a chance to put the Platypod to the test.
I stopped to eat on my way home, not far from the "new" remodeled Philadelphia's iconic LOVE sculpture in LOVE Park. The park is always crowded with tourists taking selfies, especially during the summer. Much to my surprise, the planets were aligned that day for me because the park was nearly empty. And it was perfect timing, it was getting to be around the blue hour. I quickly setup the tripod and took a couple of shots.
I am very happy with the final result, so far this is the best image I've taken in this location.

No comments:

Post a Comment