Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Quads Ice Racing


One of those rare motorcycle events I had never seen in person, probably because I hate cold/freezing weather, was motorcycle racing on ice. 

Nine years ago I saw a poster advertising motorcycle ice racing in Trenton, New Jersey. The headliner of the event was 5-Time Ice Racing World Champion, (The First Lady of Ice Racing) Mandy "Wild Child" Brodil Cervantes. Since I don't follow ice racing, had no idea who she was. The ad piqued my interest, so I ordered tickets online.

Trenton, NJ, is only a forty five minutes commute by train from Philadelphia. I took half day off from work, and arrived early to attend the paddock pit pass meet and greet to meet the racers and see the bikes up close. I was pleasantly surprised to find only a few motorcycles, the majority of the racing vehicles were Quads. Quads are all terrain vehicles, four-wheel ATV's modified for racing. Since this type of racing is on ice, the tires are equipped with metal studs to help with traction. You can see the Quads with metal studded tires in some of the pictures.

In 2013 I wasn't interested in photography yet, these images were taken with my trusty Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W530 point-and-shoot. That day I learned that at the Convention Center they don't allow DSLR's and long lenses into the premises. So I am glad that I was only carrying my point-and-shoot camera.

The event was amazing, it exceeded all my expectations. Enjoy the pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment