Saturday, February 19, 2022

Testimonial


Back in 1997, as part of my job, I was required to provide HIV/AIDS and std's education to middle and high schools.

At the time our agency had a small group of trained volunteers of all ages. In addition of being volunteers, some were also our patients, people living with HIV/AIDS. When it was needed, they helped with office projects, making copies, mailing letters, answering phones, etc. Some of those same volunteers sometimes helped me with the school education programs.

This particular day, (in 1997, I was only 40 years old) I had with me a younger Betty White look alike senior, (she was in her late 60's or early 70's) helping me to distribute the educational material to the students. Unbeknownst to the students, she had volunteered to do what we called [ Living with HIV/AIDS: A Personal Testimony ], sharing her story of how she acquired HIV/AIDS.

So after a brief introduction, I began the high school workshop by asking the students, "can you tell by looking at someone, who is HIV positive?" They all looked at each other, and began to giggle. Our senior volunteer stood up in front of class and asked, "looking at both of us, which one do you think has HIV/AIDS? The students that dared to answer, pointed at me and laughed.

When our senior volunteer told everyone that she was HIV positive, the giggling stopped, suddenly the room became very quiet. You could hear the girls sobbing inconsolably in the back.

After our senior volunteer finished her testimonial, she was congratulated by the students for her courage to share her HIV/AIDS personal story. By far, this was one of the most emotional educational workshops I've ever presented.

No comments:

Post a Comment