Sunday, July 19, 2020

Meeting Offline Can Be A Minefield


What do you do when your date looks nothing like his or her pictures? Personally, I think using deceptive photos online is manipulative and a huge waste of people's time, so I don't have any sympathy for people who do that.

Earlier this week, I read an article about men sharing stories of the times they've walked out of dates. If a person is out there dating, I am sure at some point they've been in a situation where they wish they could just walk out.

Reading this article, reminded me of a date I had about 15 years ago at Hard Rock Cafe. I had been in touch over the phone a couple of times with a woman I met on a dating site. She sounded nice; she also had several pictures on her profile. I invited her for brunch at Hard Rock Cafe.

I tend to invite to meet face-to-face, usually a week or two after connecting with someone.

She arrived and didn't look like her pictures, I had a hard time recognizing her. Within 5 minutes of meeting her, and before I could said anything about the pictures discrepancy, she berated and belittled the waitress for being too slow taking her order. As I later learned, she was in a rush; had arranged another date with someone else for after our brunch.

Meeting offline can be a minefield. That day I realized pictures in a profile mean nothing. While appearance can tell us certain things about people, it doesn’t tell us everything. Looks matter, but personality matters so much more.

[ The top picture was taken in 2010, The Hard Rock Cafe guitar image was taken in 2017. ]



No comments:

Post a Comment